97 (Croydon) Squadron


97 (Croydon) Squadron was originally formed in 1938 as part of the Air Defence Cadet Corps (ADCC). The Squadron then became part of the Air Training Corps when it was formed in 1941.

Over the years the cadets of 97 (Croydon) Squadron have participated in events and activities at all levels throughout the Air Training Corps, winning on multiple occasions a long and proud list of trophies.

Recent achievements include winning Surrey Wing's annual Foot Drill and Banner Drill competitions; London and South East Region Foot Drill and Banner Drill competitions; Surrey Wing's annual Bray Trophy (adventure training competition); Surrey Wing's annual 5-a-side and Athletics championships.

As a result of these successes 97 (Croydon) Squadron has been given the opportunity to participate in many fantastic occasions. These include being reviewed by Prince Philip and attending a garden party in Buckingham Palace as part of the Cadet 150 celebrations; helping with the Royal Wedding; performing continuity drill in front of thousands of spectators and dignitaries on Trafalgar Square; providing the banner party to receive the new Air Training Corps banner from the Commandant Air Cadets and Chief of Air Staff.

97 (Croydon) Squadron also has a close relationship with the Croydon branch of the Royal British Legion. Each year the Squadron takes an active part in the Poppy Appeal, collecting funds through the sale of poppies in and around Croydon. The Squadron has raised over 16,000 in the last three years and hopes to continue this great work in the future.


 
}